The warm weather is officially here and while we can sip lemonade and jump in the pool to stay cool, we have to remember our pets too! Hot days can lead to dehydration and heat exhaustion for our furry friends. Keep reading for some great tips to keep your pets cool and safe this summer!
1. Make sure your pet has plenty of cold, fresh water at all times. If you’re traveling or taking long walks, remember to bring a bowl and water with you so your dog can hydrate.
2. If you’re going to be leaving your pet alone in the house for a long period of time, remember to leave the air conditioner on for them. They get hot sitting in a stuffy house too!
3. Never leave them in the car even if the windows are cracked. The temperature inside of a car can rise very quickly on a hot day. Keep your pet safe by leaving them home or taking them with you if you exit the car.
4. Be mindful of their paws. On really hot days it’s not a good idea to walk with your dog. Not only can they get over-heated, but hot pavement can burn their feet.
5. Make sure they have shade. If your dog likes playing outside, make sure there is a shady area for them to lie down when they’re ready to take a break.