This past Monday marked the official first day of spring! It’s time to start refreshing our homes and thinking about spring cleaning. It can be a daunting task to get things deep-cleaned and organized, but using these tips should make the process smooth!
1 – The first thing you need to do is purge! Start getting rid of junk and unwanted items so you don’t waste time cleaning them, organizing or finding a new home for them when it’s time to start.
2 – If you have small children, find a busy activity for them to do or a place for them to go when it’s time to clean. You won’t want children making a mess in the middle of your spring cleaning.
3 – Get all of your supplies together early. Make sure you have rubber gloves, cleaning solutions, rags, mops etc ready to go so you don’t have to waste cleaning time with trips to the store.
4 – Make a playlist of all of your favorite upbeat songs. Press play when it’s time to put the gloves on and start cleaning. The music will make the time go by faster and it will keep you entertained and moving.
5 – Make a list and stick to it. Write down all of the rooms you want to clean and the order you want to clean them. Stick to the plan so you don’t get distracted. It’ll feel great to cross each task off the list as you complete it!
It’s probably everyone’s least favorite room in the house to clean, but it also needs it the most! Stop stressing about having a tidy bathroom by following these tips. They don’t take much time and your bathroom will never have a chance to get filthy!
- Choose one day a week to give the bathroom a deep clean. Put on your gloves and pull out the cleaning solvents to make your shower, tub and toilet sparkle.
- Once a week when you’re doing laundry, pull all of your bathroom linens (i.e. hand towels, rugs) and get them clean.
- Every morning take a couple minutes to wipe down the sink and faucet. Add it to your morning routine after you’ve brushed your teeth and it will keep your sink free from soap scum and toothpaste!
- Bathroom trash can be forgotten, especially if it’s hidden under a vanity. Don’t let yours overflow. Use a plastic grocery bag to line your trash can and pull the whole bag out and add it to your kitchen trash before you bring it outside.
- Sometimes we tend to forget about the floors in the bathroom too. Once a week (maybe when you’re doing laundry), pull out your swiffer or mop and wash your bathroom floors. That way you can lay bathroom rugs back onto a clean floor after they’ve been washed.
January is a great time to refresh and reorganize things in your home. When you’re trapped inside on cold, snowy weekends why not use the time to get rid of some items that are causing clutter? If you can’t seem to figure out where to start, read below for a list of 15 items to get rid of right now!
- Newspapers and magazines you have already read
- Receipts that you don’t need
- Ticket stubs
- Any damaged clothing you can’t fix
- Expired food from your pantry
- Old paperwork or bills that don’t need to be filed
- Toiletries that are almost empty or have expired
- Manuals for electronics you don’t use or need
- Worn-out shoes
- Old or outdated computer software
- Books you’ve already read
- Toys your children or pets don’t play with
- Stained Tupperware
- Old bath towels
- Medicines that are expired or almost empty (make sure to dispose of properly)
The holidays are behind us and the last thing on everyone’s mind is preparing for next year’s festivities. Before packing away your holiday boxes for storage, pick up some of these items that are sure to be on sale. When next year rolls around you’ll be so glad you did!
- Wrapping paper and gift bags – when it’s time to wrap your holiday gifts next year you’ll be thrilled when you open a storage container full of gift wrapping supplies that you scored for next to nothing!
- Holiday Cards – When the holidays are over, most stores sell their remaining holiday cards for over 70% off! Pick up a couple boxes for a few dollars next time you’re out and have them on hand for mailing in 2017!
- Artificial Christmas trees – If you’re thinking of putting up a fake tree next year or if yours needs an upgrade, buy it now! You won’t see these discounted until Black Friday next year and even then, they can typically be sold out at most stores.
- Ornaments and Decor – Usually around the holidays you’ll see ornament shops pop up at malls for the season. Once the holidays are over, they mark down all of their goods before they close up shop for the year. This is a great time to pick up some items you realized you were missing in your home this year or gifts for your friends.
- Lights – String lights are marked down over 50% after the holidays and it’s the perfect time to stock up! You can pick up a few boxes to store away for next year’s decor or replace any that may have broken after this season.